Thursday, January 20, 2011

TKAM Scout's Journal #3

Yesterday as I opened my eyes and looked into the window, I saw flakes of mysterious white falling down the sky, is it raining? Atticus told me it was not raining, it was “snowing”. ‘Snow? Is it snowing in Maycomb?’ was my very first impression of the weather. For a long while yesterday I almost thought the sky is falling and cried for a little. Jem seemed to be more clam, though. Gradually the snow was sticking on the ground ‘n’ Jem dragged me out to the backyard to build a “snowman”- something I only red and saw in Christmas books. He wouldn’t let me step on any fresh snow, so I hopped to follow his steps. We made our ways to Miss Maudie’s to collect more snow, but it still wasn’t close to enough to make the big belly I had saw in the books.  Jem however, was clever enough to come up with an almost ingenious idea of makin’ the snow man with mud, and then cover it up with snow. And so we found ourselves diggin’ up a whole five baskets of earth in the backyard. It was just a couple hours of work for the two of us to finish the whole thing up.  Even though our snowman looked like Mr. Avery with a lady’s sunhat when we are done, it was good enough for me ‘n’ Jem to show it infront of our neighbors
Yesterday night was a cold night. Right now as I recall myself all I could trace back was Atticus shakin’ me awake at about 11 or so ‘n’ dressin’ me up. As we headed out of the house bewildered, Jem ‘n’ I saw smokes rolling miles up into the sky, wooden walls a blazing, and men workin’ hard to save the furniture. The next thing that I realized-Miss Maudie’s house is one fire! Fire truck pushed by men form town stood by the sidewalk and splashed water point-blank onto the roof, but it didn’t do much good. The fire kept burnin’ and smokes kept on rollin’. With a deafening crash, Miss Maudie’s house collapsed into ashes. Bits of red splashed everywhere. I was such a magnificent and fearful view to me that I was startin’ to forget my surroundings. I was so focused on what’s goin’ on that I did not notice that Boo Radley had put a blanket around me (according to Miss Maudie). If so, then he was right behind me that time!  I f I turned around I could easily have known what he looked like! Missed another good chance.
This morning after breakfast, we returned the hat to Miss Maudie and surprisingly enough Miss Maudie seemed to be fine of her losses. Luckily we didn’t get to go to school today, which is makin’ me start to like the fire yesterday. Atticus said we cannot learn if we did not sleep. After a little nap, we are on our way learning up the snowman ‘n’ fillin’ up the backyard.
I’m startin’ to wonder if Boo Radley was ever that bad now…

No comments:

Post a Comment