Thursday, January 20, 2011

TKAM Scout's Journal #7

Yesterday was such a tiring, wild, and frightful day that I just could not bear to write a journal, so I have to write this one today in the very early morning as I woke up. If I was to use any word to describe how it feels like in this sunny morning right now, It would be the word ”rainbow”. Yes, at this particular moment, I feel like a “rainbow”, a rainbow that follows right after a devilish storm, brings light, brings peace-I am feeling a sense of sheer relief. It is unbearable for almost everybody to recall what happened last night, and to me, the whole story of what happened seemed like a dream. Even though everything happened in such a short period of time and my memory of it is not full, I don’t think I will ever forget what happened in any point of my life.
I remembered it all started with me, Jem ‘n’ Dill crept out of the house to the County Jail for Atticus. Surprisingly, moments later as we got there, we found that Atticus is not alone; he has companies-not very pleasant companies. It was a group or a mob of almost thirty drunk and angry men with no clear minds (at least that’s how I remembered most of them), immediately they surrounded Atticus as they hopped out of the car. Atticus seemed to be expecting ‘em as he calmly put down the newspaper, stood up into the crowd. The men talked in near whispers, but we still caught we they were talkin’ about, they are trin’ to go through Atticus to get to the jail door. I was stupod enough and hotheaded enough that I thought they were folks from town and dashed right into them for Atticus. After experiencin’ the uncomfortable moments of awkwardness and realizin’ they ain’t anybody we knew, it was too late, we were in for it. I was embarrassed, and am embarrassed right now as I thought about it. What is more embarrassing is I started talkin’ to them as if I knew them with no signs of appreciation. I don’t know what got me into talkin’, these men were men who could possibly hurt Atticus badly and potentially injury us, but suddenly I just found myself talkin’ about stuff to them. I was definitely scared and nervous at that time (in fact extremely scared and nervous), so I thought of the topic entailment to start with- nobody responded to my initiation of peace. Then as I realized Mr. Walter Cunningham was in the crowd, and I put my target on Walter Cunningham.  I mentioned how Walter is a good boy in school and how we invited him back home for dinner-this time, I got no immediate responses. The air started to tense up to a point of suffocation. Just as I thought they were probably further angered by my talk and I started to prepare myself for the big brawl, Mr.Walter Cunniham lowered down to the ground and expressed his sincere acknowledgement for takin’ care of his son. Seconds later we found them marchin’ out if the scene in almost single file. Then, when all was silent, a hoarse voice cracked from the jail cells inside,” are they gone” was all I heard-Tom Robinson was there and listening’ the whole time. Atticus answered him as he wiped his sweat that was rollin’ off his forehead, I rarely saw Atticus sweat that much. The terror was over, we all breathed heavily and felt tremendously lucky that we weren’t touched one bit. Atticus drove us home later last night.
Am I mighty glad that the night is over and mornings has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment